Thread: New Here
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 03:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Farfalla

Welcome. I too have found comfort on this site. Knowing I am not alone and that people are going through the EXACT same issues comforts me. I found this site very helpful and knowledgeable. I suggest keep praying, reading, and venting.

Are you in any therapy? ARe you children in therapy?

My in-laws cushion my husband as well. He is an adult addict child of an alcoholic mother. Not that it matters because as I learned on this site, drugs have no pecking order, but what is your husband using? How old are your children?

I have a 13 year old and an 18 year old. I told both of my children they are forbidden to go in the car with their father. I will not allow him to drive them. As of yesterday, seeing the disregard for them first hand, my children want nothing to do with their father. I had the locks changed yesterday. I asked the police officer I called out to the house if I was breaking the law. He replied "why are you breaking the law, you lost your wallet and your identification and house key were in there". :>) In my state if you change the locks it is against the law.
Keep a journal. I feel great peace in just venting in my journal whenever I need to.
Keep a log to of your husbands, calls, texts, threats, etc.
There is a post on here about suicide threats. Check it out. I received those as well. Like one person replied it was like 28 years after a suicide threat from her addict and he was still breathing.
You do what is best for your children. Your job is to protect them and yourself. I was an enabler for 19 years. No more. He needs to fall and hit his bottom. When he does he will get help. You can't control him. You can't cure him. You didn't cause his drug use. You need to set your personal boundaries and follow through with consequences. I am not sure what gender your children are but I was by our therapist gender specific children have a tendency to emulate gender specific parent. Son - Father, Daughter - Mother. Protect your children. Be the role model. Your children will respect you more for it.