Thread: New Here
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jamieeg

New Here

Hi My name is Jamie and apparently I am codependent. First off, I want to say how thankful I am to this site! I have been reading these posts for awhile now and I feel like I need to introduce myself. I have felt so alone....like I am the only person in the world who has had these crazy experiences living with an active addict. However, this site has helped open my eyes. I am not alone...

Second, I need some advice on how to handle enablers. I have worked really hard to get a grip on my enabling, however my soon to X in-laws are continuing to enable my AH. I can not image how hard it must be to have an addict child, but cushioning him from rock bottom does not seem like a good choice at this point.

Just last week, he got caught using and decided to go to rehab again. Since then, I have found out that he had my children in situations that I am not comfortable with, and I am filing for sole custody. His parents have told me that all he has left is the kids and that if I take them away they think he is going to kill himself. They are basically putting his chance for sobriety and LIFE on my shoulders! I wish they understood that I don't want to "take" them but, I do not want them growing up with a father that floats in and out of their lives. I want to protect them! I want the best for them and right now, he is not a sane, rational person.

Wow! That felt good! I have not said any of this out loud! I guess I just feel the weight of all this coming down on me. Thank you for listening!!!!

Jamie