View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TrueYouTrueMe

Hi! New to forum

Hi! I just came across this forum earlier today and thought I would like to give it a try. I have participated on other types of forums (music, politics, etc..) in the past but the topic of sobriety and recovery are very good topics for me right now.

My name is Garry. I am 45 years old, single male and I have been a heavy everyday beer drinker and chain smoker for the past 33 years. I have also used some other types of drugs though not as hard or heavy as alcohol and nicotine.

Unfortunetaly for me I also worked for a while in my twenties with a chemical which started causing me to have collapsed lungs. After the third time I had a surgery done. But I never stopped smoking or drinking heavily and now my health is hurting badly. I have been stupid though and put off seeing a doctor. The insanity of a alcoholic.

It is the health issues that have lead me to sobriety and recovery being that I have never had any other serious problems from my addictions (no DUIs, no jail, no relationship problems, same job 14 years, etc...) - I simply have hurt myself badly through neglect and abuse and other problems were always hovering around though I somehow always avoided them directly.

Right now though I have 130 days sober thanks to the grace of God and the fellowship of A.A.

Things have still though been tough for me due to my smoking and my health (bad numbness and symptoms) but I finally have made some more progress there as well and I currently have 11 days nicotine free. I plan on stopping my procrastination as well and to start seeing a doctor ASAP.

Though I am obviosuly facing some tough things right now health wise my disposition is rather well. I tend to believe that I am finally facing all of this for a purpose. My entire life has changed drastically in the past year and I am accepting change. I can only try my best and remain hopeful about any news I get in regards to my health.

That is a quick synopsis of where I am at right now. I look forward to hopefully sharing here and getting to know some people over time.

Garry