Old 09-30-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  
FT

Originally Posted by AprilMay1895 View Post
Dissociate...you know, I do that all the time with people in my life...I decide they're no longer good for me and I just cut them off. Is that what people do with "the beast" then? Recognize it, tell it to eff off because it's not helping you and then go on with life?

My plan is to drink the last of my beer I have left in my fridge tonight as my farewell to booze, then read the book tomorrow and make my commitment to no longer drinking. I know this sounds incredibly shady because it starts with "my plan is to drink the last of my beer". lol But this has been my plan for the last couple days, after I get a day to study the method, then I have to start applying it. Maybe it still sounds shady. Oh gosh, well I'm letting the beast live for one more night is what I'm saying it and then breaking up with it tomorrow. Now it sounds like I'm a guy breaking up with a bad girlfriend but sleeping with her one more time the night before. Ok, I better stop typing(and no, I haven't started drinking the beer yet). lol
Why not try my "cold duck technique" that I described somewhere earlier in this thread?

In other words, DON'T DRINK THAT BEER. Leave it in the fridge for "looking at". Take that "looking at" beer and give it the finger. Sorry to be crass, but you should be able to practice AVRT and still have the beer in the fridge.

Granted, that may seem like a stupid technique, but it is exactly what I did when I quit drinking alcohol. That bottle (cold duck in my case) represented everything I hated about my life at the time, the control alcohol had over me. When I decided to take control, I rejected the bottle in the fridge, the grocery store, the restaurant, or anywhere else I encountered it. When it's time to quit, it's time to quit. What I hear you doing is putting off quitting drinking. Why should tomorrow be so different. Making plans to quit drinking while under the influence is very easy to do.

Just my two cents.

FT