Old 09-30-2011, 04:16 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  
freethinking
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
It's up to you, since only you can know how secure you are. That said, if you have truly made a proper Big Plan and decided that you will never drink again, and never change your mind, why should this pose a threat? Pondering that question alone may be enough to get you thinking about whether or not your Big Plan is secure, as opposed to being another typical quit on a trial basis.
I'll be honest, I haven't made any big plan (I use a combo of AVRT from RR along with the ABC stuff from SMART, mainly - but do not wholly follow either SMART or RR). I don't know that I feel it is necessary and I guess the way that I think, I am not sure that my mind buys really adamant "never again" statements when it comes to something I have done repeatedly for over 20 years. This is the first time in my life, however, where I feel I have even had any desire to wrap my mind around permanent sobriety where it not only feels desirable, but attainable. I can honestly say that has never been the case before.

On the flipside of your point above though, I wonder what the purpose of the aversion techniques are if one, in fact, has a Big Plan to never drink again. It seems to contradictory. Wouldn't that be like me buying sunblock for a vacation to Hawaii that I have confirmed I am not ever going to go on? (no idea how that example popped up, FYI!)

I've think I may try the bottle of vodka idea though with my husband and see how that goes. I thought about that idea some more last night and I think my initial negative reaction stemmed from that going against pretty much everything I had been taught in rehabs, etc. But in thinking it over some more, I think there is definitely something to my constant failure to stay away fron drinking after months of not drinking and my lack of exposure to the alcohol or any familiar scenarios with how I drank. Thanks for that idea!