View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lotus2009

non-alcoholic beer....

argh, so I really should get to bed, but wanted to get this out and get some insight from all of you.

RAH has been doing well, however he tends to isolate and doesn't hang out much with other people. Most of his work buddies like to go out and party. He's gone out a few times with them and keeps telling everyone that other people's drinking doesn't bother him and he seems to be doing well with that, though I wonder if he's just pretending. He's also had non-alcoholic beer when out with his friends before and reports that it's ok (no trigger).

Anyways, his younger (early 20s) brother came over tonight. He doesn't come over much. The last time he was here they ended up going grocery shopping and the younger brother came back with a beer. I let it slide because RAH told him it was ok. Tonight they went out grocery shopping again and bought a 6 pack of non-alcoholic beer (which still has a minimal alc. content and smells just like "real" beer). I'm not sure if RAH drank 1 or 2 bottles (I saw him pour some in the sink at one point), either way I am not really all that comfortable with having alcoholic beverages in the house (whether "non-alcoholic" beer or "real" beer). I know RAH just really wants to fit in and doesn't want to be a "party pooper", but I'm having a hard time seeing him around alcohol in the house.

I was planning on talking to him about the fact that I don't want any type of alcoholic beverage in the house - not from him and not from any of his friends or family members (though I have to be VERY careful as to how I word this, so he won't get defensive). Do you think that would be appropriate (i.e. not controlling)? *I guess I'm still struggling trying to figure out what is controlling and what is a feasible boundary*