View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HAH

New and Not Sure How This Works

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place or what a "thread" is. I hope I'm posting in the right place. I'm new to the community and nervous but hopeful for my recovery with your help, as well as the opportunity to help others like me.

I will start off by saying that I am 21 years old and I am an extreme alcoholic. I have been drinking socially from a very young age but did not start drinking dangerously (alone, in the morning, before work, etc.) until about 2 years ago. I have experienced alot of tragedy in my life but in no way is that an excuse for what I have done to myself or to my family with alcohol. I have been to the hospital twice now for alcohol poisoning and cannot even begin to count the dilapidating hangovers (vomiting, shakes, overwhelming depression, etc.) that have made me decide that I absolutely need help. I say extreme because I have literally come to the point where my body will reject the alcohol and yet I will continue to drink. My last hospital visit was about a week ago and I spoke with an angelic social worker who has helped me to seek help with counseling and/or medication. I am now only 5 days sober but very scared of my future. I am scared of what I would do if I don't seek help but also scared of how I am going to cope without alcohol. I am so scared and so depressed. How can I overcome the shame of the way I've acted in the past because of alcohol? How can I overcome the guilt of what I've done to my family with my hospital visits and health scares? Right now, my only support group is my mom and brother. I don't have friends that I could open up to, except for my best friend who lives far away from me. I joined this forum so that I can talk with others and we can share our stories. Anything has to be better than taking another drink. My username is what I want to be.

HappyAndHealthy