View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Originally Posted by familydestroyed View Post
When I talked to my daughter I said as long as daddy is working an active recovery program and working on himself we can begin to work on us as a couple. Now since he is unwilling to get help and recognize his addiction there can be no us. Any advice on how to talk and explain this to his daughter without completely upsetting her? I am trying to tred lightly as to not affect her grades and success at school.

I have a 23-year-old daughter I love very much. She's been through a lot the past couple of years and I allow her the dignity to learn as she moves forward. I'm there for her when she needs to talk.

I can appreciate that you don't want to affect her grades and success, but how is she to learn how to cope with life's difficulties if you shield her?

When I enrolled in college at age 50, I ended up with challenges every semester...surgery, exacerbation of my chronic pain. It was a learning experience for me, and I graduated!

For me, honesty has always been the best policy. The fact is he's not interested in recovery. It's that simple.