View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EmeraldRose

Eliasson, welcome.
They say one can quit having a partner that drinks. They say that it is your own journey that is important and everyone has a different thought process behind it. They say that you can live in a world where the other spouse remains a drinker.
They also say that trying to quit in a house where another is drinking is like trying lick you elbow. Impossible.
The decision of ((your)) life is up to you. Where do you want to be in 5 years? Heck where do you want to be in 5 months? If I were in a house right now with a spouse that drank I would have resumed drinking. Period! My heart would have weakened, my strength would have deminished.
I was in a house with a spouse that didn't drink and I still drank. So, for me...didn't matter. My then husband and I had enough problems that we could amicabley split up and I moved. I remained a drinker until I lost my new job because of it (I was a stay at home mom for most of my 29 years of mothering)...I quit drinking on January 28th and find that quitting alone...and for good...was easiest done alone. I found support, friends and things that made me realize that I was running in circles all that time.
Yes, I miss the company, the security, the thought of knowing that someone else was there BUT I would have never quit. I have had a good job for the past almost 6 months and I rent a house and life is good.
I understand that your situation is different BUT sometimes thinking outside the box -not just black and white -helps. Have you seeked treatment outside of your comfort zone? Have you discussed this with your spouse? Is he supportive to your sobriety?
I understand how scary it can be if we step up into the world onto a new level -but had I not changed everything -and I mean everything...I would be a home-based closet drunk for the next 30 years, as well.
Wishing you peace and strength.