View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Itchy
Re-Member

Thanks!
Here is a real intro.

Actually it is a bit intimidating to be in the group of folks that helped me get here. You guys were my peers and my mentors. Some have become dear online friends. Others I held in awe. Only recently have I realized that some do the same with me just because I cared enough for me and my family to quit like them but had more time, and that can be uncomfortable when I am recovering just like they are. I kept my distance with most, reached out to a few, and found that some were very uncomfortable with anything but that distance. And it is all good.

When Dee and RZ/HFA/Least et al were discussing a one year and over group, and the fact that is has never been done, as most leave and don't make time to participate anymore, I am grateful for those of you who did and do.

I remember someone saying that a group like that will show that it can be done, that some "alcoholics," "addicts," or if that offends "whatever-ya-call-its," just like them made it. I think it does and will participate albeit later much less. I am retired but still young (I retired my first time at 45 and took off RVing full time for 7 years with my SH.)

I have the education and credentials to pass the test required for certification as a counselor in my state in alcohol and substance abuse counseling. I also have the application package for the local VA HR department and will make my manners to the folks there first and go on the waiting list while I do the certification requirements.

I think I bring a lot to that table. Especially when I found they were shocked at how much I drank. It appears that the field could use more experience in it. Anyway that is my hope. I will pass along what happens but that will be at least another year in the future.

Right now I need to get the weight off I gained from quitting smokin at the same time and using sweets as a sub. It seems I still need an adult "Binkie!" But alcohol and smoking aren't on the rotations list anymore. So I still have a lot of work to do still. I am grateful for the wonderful people who took the time to lend me a hand along the way. Including but not limited to the members of this group.

Ok deal me in. What's the ante?