Old 09-21-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Terminally Unique - I would not expect someone should have to tell me all their past if we were casually dating. I certainly don't do that. If I was in a serious relationship and someone withheld or skirted around the issue of past addictions and I found out my trust would likely be obliterated and to be very honest - I'd see it as more con games and half truths, which I'm all to familiar with. Also, there is nothing on this planet that could guarantee me a person with a past addiction would never drink again. I might have faith, based on current behavior and some significant history, that they would not but I would never be 100% certain/guaranteed.
I appreciate your candor, but it only reinforces my belief to never disclose my previous struggle with alcohol unless absolutely necessary. As for a guarantee, though, for me to drink again would just be plain wrong, a crime against myself, my family, and society. I can guarantee that I will never drink again just as I can guarantee that I will never rape women. It will never happen.