View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
FT

Hi BKR,

I never did take oxys to get high. I just took them to feel "normal". The few times I ever felt high were times when I didn't realize how many I had taken and took more than I should. For me, if I got to feeling high, I would feel seasick.

A lot of people who have never been addicted to pain killers assume that the more you take, the higher you get. That may be true with bursts of higher dosages, but for me anyway, my dose got higher and higher just so I could feel normal and not sick. Eventually, I rarely even felt "normal", except maybe for the first hour of the morning after my first dose. The rest of the day, I was constantly trying to take fewer pills, and I'd take a dose when I started to feel withdrawals coming on. That happened at more frequent intervals with ever increasing dosages. I was never at a dose as high as yours, though. So, I get it if people think you were/are getting high, when you aren't. After awhile, it just takes higher and higher doses. Eventually, for me anyway, I just felt so sick all the time I knew I had to quit. Plus, ANY physical exertion winded me when I was using, and I used to ride my mountain bike all the time. I stopped doing that, and avoided all exercise because I just couldn't hack it. I'd even have to take an oxy dose to go take a simple walk.

Geez.

I am SO glad to be free of that crap. Sometimes I wish I had at least enjoyed it, at least gotten high from it. But I didn't. I don't think my story is entirely unique. We all got on these demon drugs one way or another. It doesn't matter why you started, just that you want to stop.

I don't want to discourage anyone from doing what works for you. The main thing I don't like to see is people self-medicating with street drugs, especially when they start to try detoxing with stuff like methadone or suboxone. I really think that that kind of detox should be medically supervised. For one, you don't know how pure the street drugs are, even if they look EXACTLY like the prescription stuff. Plus, there is too high a tendency to dose incorrectly, and then to take yourself down on your own just doesn't work for most people.

I agree with the warning about tramadol. Even though it is a weak opiate, it is addictive because of that plus some other effects from other components of the drug, and the withdrawal sounds as bad or worse than stronger opiate withdrawal. Just be careful. It's risky taking someone else's medication, especially if you are seeing a doctor who is not aware of what you are doing and is trying to help you without the benefit of that knowledge.

Again, good luck.

FT