View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 11:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
YellowBirdy

I think I need a reality check

So, I broke the "No Contact" I'd been having with AH. The one that's been COURT ORDERED, where he could go to jail for 9mos and/or be fined $1K. Being weak and codependent, I contacted him a little over a week ago via text message. It's snowballed from there–we've even seen each other several times. He's asked me to help him, but I've told him I can't, he has to help himself.

He had 8 months (since his DUI and moving in w/ his brother) to get his act together. He says he's NOW going to start going to AA as of this Thursday; he's also made an appointment to see his primary doc to discuss options with her (but will refuse to do any type of inpatient treatment based on a previous bad experience as an inpatient in the mental health ward).

He says he realizes now more than ever what he is going to lose...the reality of the dividing of our assets and having court proceedings fast approaching has hit him hard. He says he loves me and realizes he needs to get help and change. Until I see any action or proof of change is there any point in believing him or getting my hopes up? At my last Al-Anon meeting, 2 women had similar stories to mine and they ended up divorced. They told me to get out while I can. But I can't help but wonder -- maybe my experience and story will be different? What percentage of A's are able to work a successful recovery program and stick with it? Maybe my AH will be one of those success stories?

I've still been reading other's posts and attending weekly Al-Anon meetings as my lifeline. I fear I'm regressing back into a state of denial and need a reality check...