Old 09-19-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Choice and the Big Plan

Something that is commonly heard on recovery forums is "I have a choice to drink or not drink today, and today, I choose not to drink." I'd like to point out how the Big Plan, which is necessary for AVRT, changes that dynamic.

Remember, the Big Plan goes something like this:
"I will never drink/use again, and I will never change my mind."
The Big Plan alters the "today I choose not to drink" attitude, because if you have truly committed to permanent, unconditional abstinence, without the possibility of changing your mind, then you don't have a choice today, or any other day. The Big Plan permanently removes any further drinking/using as an option, thereby putting an end to the daily "should I or should I not drink" debate.

Remember also that the Addictive Voice is any thinking, imagery, or feeling that supports your future use of alcohol, ever. All self-doubt of permanent, unconditional abstinence is the AV itself, the voice of the Beast, IT. The Beast is just doing its job, which is to try and get you to consume more alcohol. Too bad for the Beast if you have made a Big Plan, though, because if you did, then you never drink.

You don't even have the option to drink.