View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 11:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FHB1

Hi conchgirl, welcome to SR. I can totally relate to how you feel. I'm a 41 year old male and I partied consistently since I was a teenager. It was fun and cool when I was in my 20's and early 30's, but once I started getting into my late 30's I started to feel similar things to what you describe in your post. I started getting a beer belly, couldn't tell if I was hungover or going through withdrawals etc. Drinking for me was starting to become more of a habit than a fun thing. My wife had the same reaction that your husband had when you told him you might want to stop drinking. She wasn't against the idea, but I could tell that she was a bit bummed, because we used to have a lot of fun going to restaurants and ordering wine etc. She said the same things; Can't you just have a glass of wine with dinner etc.? Well the bottom line is she can and I cannot. I used to be able to, but in the last few years I noticed that one or two just didn't cut it anymore. Sometimes even a whole bottle of wine (or two) didn't even cut it for me. I decided that I needed to stop drinking for my own health and well being. Today I am 38 days sober and I feel great! I still go out with my wife, she gets wine and I get a tonic with lime or a sparkling water. We still have lots of fun together and me not drinking is not even an issue. We can actually have more fun now that I don't drink because I can be the designated driver. To top it all off, since I stopped drinking 38 days ago, I've dropped 10 pounds without even trying! I think you should give not drinking a try! I can pretty much guarantee you'll feel better both physically and mentally and I'll bet you will still be able to have fun with your husband too!