View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Originally Posted by catlovermi View Post
I used to do ergonomics assessments and recommendations in a former life. It's not unreasonable for you to discuss with the workplace that you are having discomfort, and you have a good opening to do so, because you are very tall for a woman. It sounds as though one of two things may be contributing: 1) standing time, although you did not explicitly state this, I imagined you standing to pull the files, from somewhere, and 2) a chair that is not comfortable. (A third consideration is to see if you are spending a lot of seated time with a twist somewhere in your spine, such as looking off the the side with a twisted neck, or reaching off to the side, with a twisted lower back.)
The standing time isn't much, but it can be a real struggle to get files back onto the corresponding shelves if they are the lower ones, and no chair to sit on while doing that. I am pulling the files from tall shelving units on rollers at one end of the room. I do twist off to one side after I finish a chart as I put it back on the cart that I have to park behind and to the left of me so it is out of the way of the 3 ladies using the printer behind my workstation. I need to be more conscious of whether my upper legs are parallel with the floor while I am sitting. I can adjust chair height on any of them that I use. Being 6' tall does present a challenge when I'm working with ladies averaging much less in height, and I have no idea how tall the gal was who had the area I work in now.

I will go through my job counselor at the temp agency first to see if I get any results as that is technically what I am supposed to do in the event of any difficulties with the job.

If that doesn't produce results, I will go to my supervisor on the floor.