View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
catlovermi

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
I don't have this problem at home and am in front of the computer most of the day. I have an executive style chair with an ortho cushion to sit on, and a lumbar support pillow behind me.

At work, I pull all the charts for a certain dismissal date, and put them on a cart that I roll back to my area. Then I take a pile of about 6 folders and set that off to the right of me. I work in a cubicle at a long desk top.

They usually have loose papers in the front that I put in in the right places and then I use a 2-hole punch on all the papers, put them on the prongs in the chart, and move onto the next one.

The chair I swap out when I can is a very stiff padded chair that keeps my back arched inward all the time, and hurts early on. There is no adjusting it except to tilt the back just a bit, not much.

I have a footstool underneath that I will rest my feet on with my legs out straight just to change the position of my back for awhile.

I'm working on keeping my stomach and buttocks muscles tight like they are teaching me in PT, but it's hard to concentrate on the charts and doing that too!
I used to do ergonomics assessments and recommendations in a former life. It's not unreasonable for you to discuss with the workplace that you are having discomfort, and you have a good opening to do so, because you are very tall for a woman. It sounds as though one of two things may be contributing: 1) standing time, although you did not explicitly state this, I imagined you standing to pull the files, from somewhere, and 2) a chair that is not comfortable. (A third consideration is to see if you are spending a lot of seated time with a twist somewhere in your spine, such as looking off the the side with a twisted neck, or reaching off to the side, with a twisted lower back.)

While nobody wants to be the new kid and right off start complaining and asking for more comfort, there is a good approach based on your height and also medical history. With a straightforward discussion, perhaps you can work with the workplace and see a reason to replace the task chair with one better suited for someone of great height. You want your knees at the same level as your hips when you sit, which for a tall person means an adjustable height seat. Your lumbar curve will also be placed differently due to this height, and also notably, you may be in a chair that is pushing you forward in the seat because you have longer thighs, so are basically feeling like you are being pushed forward by the chair back while sitting - this in itself can cause terrible back strain if you are seated too far forward in a chair, it's like sitting on the edge of a chair all day long.

It's not that big of a deal to see if you could get a task chair better suited to your height - one with an adjustable seat height and one with a deeper seat and maybe even adjustable back height or lumbar curve. None of these are based on "comfort" but rather your height, when you approach this in a conversation - think of it as a discussion of body mechanics and how to get a suitable work station, don't think of it as asking for favors or to be more comfortable than the others.

You may even want to approach it that you have some ideas to improve productivity for that particular job, based on the ergonomics of the work station, and then present, for example, your considerations of your own particulars, which are that the correct chair can greatly improve performance for a worker and is a great investment for a good productivity return. Companies are not ever wanting to spend more money on employees, but they can be made interested in ideas to improve productivity where the cost is relatively small, such as a hundred or two dollars for a chair for a workstation where this will make a large productivity difference in the job.

CLMI