View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 05:39 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Pumpkin Soup

Warren I can see where you are coming from and I thought exactly like you too until I realised that I HAD to give it up 100% because it was damaging me. If I could get that buzz or release the booze used to give me and know it would not cause harm I would definately take it whatever way I could but for me I know that is not possible and going back there will be disastrous. I am sure there will be times when I think I wish I could join others that are drinking and having fun and relaxing but for me thats just not an option anymore unless I want to suffer the consequences.

If you have a problem with alcohol it is very likely it will get worse unless you stop 100%

Some of us have to reach a very serious low rock bottom to be able to accept this.

I got as low as I personally think I could cope with. I wish I had stopped earlier but cest la vie - it is what it is and I have no choice but to accept this unless I want to live in constant misery.

I dont think AA preach that alcohol is bad or evil they just tell it how it is - if you are an alcoholic then it is bad and evil and it will kill you eventually unless you give it up.

At the end of the day moderation is not an option if you are truly alcoholic but if you are not convinced of that fact then you keep going until you are aware and do something about it or it kills you or takes away everythihg you hold precious.

I may be wrong but I personally dont believe there is a middle ground if you are an alcoholic. I do believe that some people who are not alcoholic may have problems through alcohol from time to time its almost like a rite of passage these days but those people will leave it behind and not have to think about it. If you are thinking about alcohol alot then it would suggest you have a problem with it. Unfortunately usually it takes us all a very long time and to some very dark places before we can fully accept this, especially if the "problem" is not that bad YET. We pretty much all have to learn the hard way I guess it perhaps depends on how low we are able to let it take us.