View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Mariano

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Soup View Post
Hi friends. More great posts thank you all so much.

Im feeling sort of quiet and peaceful. Happy to say that I felt ok all day today - its such a relief to feel "normal" or, well, just not ill or wierd. If this continues I feel I will be very very happy soon. Just to wake up having a decent amount of energy and feel able to tackle whatever comes along will do me fine. Im almost reluctant to say it in case its not happening but I am feeling that the depression is lifting at last.

Now (hopefully) im through it I cant imagine wanting to drink again and go back through choice to being in that state. I am under no illusion that I can have one or two drinks and get away with it, nor would there be any point in that. I can only put this down to the fact that I spent a number of weeks working on the first 3 steps which Instant listed above - the acceptance steps. I wouldnt have been able to do this as thoroughly without the guidance of my sponsor. Its all in the big book but its not stuff I would have got by just reading it.
Pumpkin, I am so happy to hear this good news. I was confident Prozac will eventually lift your depression. I hope and think that in the next few days you will be improving further and begin to feel great. At least, that was what happened to me. Congratulations for your patience.

I think Instant made a good point about "Buzz". Yes, we alcoholics like that buzz. That makes the difference with normal drinkers, who don't seek that buzz.

I am 155 days sober now and 75 days without tobacco. I believe that eventually the withdrawal syndrom of tobacco is going away, so I feel wonderful.

I have drunk during all my adult life (and now I am 46). Previously, the longest period I have had was 10-15 days without alcohol. During the last five or six years I attempted weekly to quit drinking, without success. I was not a daily drinker. I am shocked of how I have improved physically, psychologically, mentally, emotionally… Really shocked, believe me. Sobriety is now the most precious gift I have, my most prized jewel. I cannot describe with words this wonderful gift, and even less in English.

An amazing new world, full of luminous beauty, is appearing before my astonished eyes.

I know that nobody learns from the experience of others, but I would wish to shout to everybody –in particular to those suffering difficulties—that this journey is worthwhile. In only a few months, life will change dramatically. Depression will be replaced by happiness, fear by peace, anger by love, darkness by light… At least, that is my experience.

Living sober, can you imagine? No more hangovers, no more remorse and guilt, no more cravings. Freedom.

This new life is awaiting for everybody, only a few months ahead. I am thinking in particular in those who are suffering a hard time, and in those who no longer post here: Chimp, Sweetnovember, DTracy, Violet… Are you OK? If you are suffering, let us know.

In only a few months, the miracle can happen… It is worthwhile, believe me. And I will tell a secret: I found that being sober is easier than I imagined. If I’d know that 15 years ago…

Please, don’t yearn drinking: for alcoholics the true gift is sobriety. Don’t be deceived by the false promises of alcohol. We know alcohol is a liar, and a killer as well.