View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
instant
instant

Stream I love your boat. I am sure it will inspire others at the club. Your comments about not going got me thinking about what alcohol has cost me. Yes I have had fun, it has helped me relax etc. I have got to a stage where being in a social situations with alcohol can be a difficulty because alcohol can start calling the shots. To me this all comes back to the first three of the 12 steps.
  1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.
  2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
  3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him

I have spent, I was going to say most but in truth all of my adult life in an ambivalent relationship with alcohol. For the majority of that time it was great fun but that ended a long time ago. I have to thank Neil Sedaka for informing me that Breaking up is Hard to do. He is right.

My wife drinks, she is normal. For her this means a glass or two of wine once or twice a week, at most. We have been married over 20 years..........get this...............I have never seen her intoxicated. This happens because she stops when when the buzz hits. She does not like the feeling of the buzz....... that is normal.

I have always liked the buzz. I have always wanted to keep it going, or push it up a notch. I would still like the buzz if I drank.

As you all know I do not go to AA however I have come to the realisation that for me there is something important in what those three steps are about. I think they lead to a place where Mariano is.