# 6 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Welcome to this side of recovery!

Hi,
I'm known as Pelican, and
I'm a recovering alcoholic,
I'm recovering from living with an active alcoholic husband (now ex), AND
I am recovering from my co-dependent habits.

Alanon has helped me to develop skills for dealing with professional relationships as well as personal relationships. I attend some open AA meetings also to remember where I came from and that I too am one drink away from being back on the crazy train.

Congrats on your sobriety and on your new home. Those are both major accomplishments!
I too purchased a foreclosed property (in my previous life). We purchased an abandoned farm. It needed lots of work! I found it helpful to make a list of projects, then prioritize the items on the list. Top of the list was items that needed immediate attention (busted water pipes, etc). That kept me from getting overwhelmed with so many projects that "needed my attention".

I would like to share with you something that has helped me as a dual-member of SR. When I post in the F&F (friends and family) forum of SR, I try to keep my sharing based on my experience as the loved one of an active alcoholic. I try to share my strength and hope towards the family member as I remember needing someone to help me feel less alone, less crazy, less hopeless, less minimized in my own home.

I try not to post in F&F as a soft sided, treat the alcoholic with love and patience and they will be healed from their disease polly-anna. This forum is a place where F&F of alcoholics can share their feelings and ask for support. I try to respect that ideal. (I have on occassion slammed an alcoholic that comes looking for a way to fix their "normie")

Please make yourself at home and let us know how we can support you as you begin your recovery journey from living with alcoholism.