View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Buelah

Welcome Tristy!

This is wonderful place to come to on good days and bad. There are ao many great people here that have been where you and I and many others have been, maybe even moreso. They have insightful experiences that will make you sit back and think. What I have noticed is how so many of us have the same patterns. That blew me away more than anything. I was a whisky drinker. Same as Stopthecycle (and welcome to you as well!). Drank it every day and hid it very well. No one knew how bad it was, even my hubby (who joined me on my sobriety journey by not drinking beer, gave it up completely). When I told him I was an alcoholic, his first words were "No, you're not". I had to convince him with all the stories of hidden bottles in the cabinets, picking a bottle up on the way home and taking pulls of the bottle before I got in the driveway. Any way, point is, whatever you method of drinking, drink of choice, know that it's time to make it stop is a great first step!

I do agree that sobriety is a trade off for some things that you used to do drinking. But, I will say the trade off is well worth it. There are difficult days in this journey, but that's when you come here for support. Or in your case, when you have your AA sponsor, call that person. Good for you for using this forum along with AA. I have not gone to AA as of yet, but know that if I struggle too much at some point, that would be my next option.

Reading about alcoholism is pretty interesting, too. What it does to our bodies is horrific. Not to mention what it can do to relationships, and your outlook on life in general. It is not prejudice and will victimize any of us.

I'm glad you are here on this journey with all of us. Looks like you have some wonderful people that have joined in about the same time as you. Good luck to all the September newbies!!!! Welcome, welcome, welcome!