Thread: Really fed up
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
StarCat
Today is a New Day

Originally Posted by wanttobehealthy View Post
I wish I could get to the point where his words didn't cut deep but they still do and I hate it. That's what I am bothered by...
It's not you, it's him.
Getting to the point where they don't hurt is not your responsibility, and there's nothing wrong with you when you're still hurt by what he says.
He is someone that you trusted at one point, or you wouldn't have married him. Now he is using whatever is left of that trust to tear you down. It's easy to say "don't let him" but it's hard to put into practice when there's a grown man pinning you down frothing rabid hatred out of his mouth.
And this is just focusing on the verbal aspects of the abuse he has put you through.

You are being strong for your girls, and working your way out of this situation.
That takes a lot more courage that I think you realize right now. You're a lot stronger than his words.
Be safe.

Verbal Abuse Law & Legal Definition

Verbal abuse is the use of words to cause harm to the person being spoken to. It is difficult to define and may take many forms. Similarly, the harm caused is often difficult to measure. The most commonly understood form is name-calling. Verbal abuse may consist of shouting, insulting, intimidating, threatening, shaming, demeaning, or derogatory language, among other forms of communication.

Perpetrators of verbal abuse often misuse their authority and prey on those in a subordinate position. Victims of verbal abuse are often told they are to blame for the abuser's behavior and reluctant to take action to end the abuse. Verbal abuse may lead to stress, depression, physical ailments, and other damage.