View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
wellnowwhat

No one can deny that drinking is so much a part of our culture. It's everywhere and unfortunately it seems to be a rite of passage for youth.

When I was young I too wanted to "raise a little hell" with my friends. It was actually quite mild but it felt exciting to indulge in adult behaviours (drinking/smoking) at the time.

I quickly realized that I did not like the taste of alcohol and I did not like the feeling of being even slightly drunk. I decided there was really no reason for me to drink.

Having made that decision I was unprepared for the reaction I would receive from just about everyone!

I did not get smug or lecture on drinking but my choice to not to drink was debated and argued every time I went out and seemingly by everyone there. ("Can I get you a drink." "No thanks, I don't drink." "C'mon, just have one.") It made me very uncomfortable and it seemed to make everyone else uncomfortable. I am not talking about "drinking buddies". I am talking about even the people that I've never seen drunk or who only had one or two drinks themselves. People who seem to have the ability to successfully drink socially all wanted me to drink along.

It didn't take me very long to not mention that I didn't drink. I would start the evening with "Actually, I am really just thirsty, could I have a water (or juice)." and then just never order a real drink. It seemed to make the evening be less about me and my choices and more about the reason why we got together in the first place.

Many, many years later I still do this when I am with acquaintances. Friends and family know my choice. I just don't need to keep explaining it in social settings.

I am only relating this because I was taken aback by the whole reaction to the choice of not drinking; so my experience can be a forewarning to you, if that's your choice, I guess.

You are very mature and have a good head on your shoulders. You'll do fine whatever decision you make.