View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
natamars

Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to post.

I understand what everyone is saying, and I am making no excuses for him. He got what was coming to him.

I'm still trying to figure out the relationship with our son. I'm hoping this board and Al-Anon can help me with that. Is the A just an A, or is there more? I can't see things as being that black and white. Because someone is an alcoholic, do they no longer get to have a relationship with their children? My dad drank for many years, but stopped when I was 2. He never drank again.

I did what I thought was best under the circumstances. I was told that it would look better for him in court if I showed up. And through all this I'm thinking of our son and trying to figure it out, both emotionally and financially. We need both our incomes, and luckily his employer is being very supportive.

It's hard to read through all this, but I know it's necessary. Everyone here has been through their own hell. It can get so much worse than it is. I've told him if he starts to drink again he's out. But as long as he's working this and getting help, I'm giving him a chance. I know the odds are slim that he'll stay sober, but I have to hope they're on my side.