Old 09-13-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  
recycle
Ethanol Intolerant

I know I'll never drink again too. But I also know that I won't be in this state of mind forever. That is the thing about states of mind: there are internally consistent, and they seem eternal. By internally consistent I mean they always make sense to you, at least within the confines of your own head. And by eternal I mean, all other states of mind seem unreal and implausible from where you are right now. When you are brave nothing will ever scare you again, when you are lonely you always will be lonely, etc.

Cerbus of course you are a success, you aren't drinking and you are not obsessing about drinking. I think I help ensure my continued success by having a program that gets me back to the state of mind where wanting to drink seems dumb. Time will tell if my program has what it takes over the long term to accomplish that without interfering with my satisfaction of life. Right now, enjoying life and staying sober are goals which compliment each other, and it feels as though they will be that way forever. But my experience, and some really smart people, have shown me that all things change. If I don't believe that, all I have to do is dare something to remain the same.

This is a really a good thread, I have learned a lot. Despite the author's wingnutish views on other topics, AVRT seems to have the mechanisms to get a person to the state of mind where drinking is something you used to do.