Old 09-12-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ninja

Sorry you're going through this. It's horrible, I know, I went through the same thing with my first husband. I had two young kids as well. We kept it up for nearly two years - the hotel for a week or two, then home for a week until his addiction caused more problems. It was hell. The whole time he insisted it was his life, and he could do as he wanted and he didn't want to quit. Finally when he started to need more money, he announced he was getting his own apartment and seeing a lawyer. He opened a new account for his paycheque leaving me with nothing. I got a lawyer and we started the divorce process with him paying as little as he could to help with the kids. About 6 months after getting his own place and living the way he wanted to, he died of his addiction. The only good thing that came out of all of this was because we didn't finish the divorce process, I ended up with the house so my kids and I were okay. Just so you know I still didn't learn from my mistakes though, I started up a seven year long relationship with a childhood friend that I trusted that turned out to be another addict! I've just ended that one and I'm a sworn single-woman from now on! Whew...kids are grown now, and I'm selling the house and moving downtown to a funky loft. I took up the banjo and portrait painting and am learning to be happy with who I am on my own!