View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
yorkiegirl

I have been socialized to operate (even succeed and thrive) in anxiety. . . It's the "crisis mode" that would bring out the most resilient in me. . . I would go into "super-human" mode when there was a crisis. "Count on me! I am strong!" I would tell myself and others.

Today, when I find myself in panic mode (even when crisis isn't so much present or as acute as it was now that active alcoholism isn't part of my life), I start with the serenity prayer. I say the words over and over. I focus on each word, repeated them one by one slowly, envision in my head what each word represents and then letting the meaning sink in. After I've calmed down a bit, I then ask my Higher Powers to guide me. I ask them to take the anxiety from me. I tell myself, this anxiety isn't mine to own. Whatever I am worrying about and panicking about are not mine to own. I kindly continue to ask my Higher Powers to take them from me and guide me to serenity. Sometimes I have to do this many times over. Before I can relax to enjoy nice music or get into a frame of mind to meditate, I have to do this. . .

I keep telling myself the answers and solutions are there, if I allow them. . . Until serenity and calm become the norm for me (rather than the exception), I have to keep doing this over and over. Eventually, it will become second nature (I'm hoping) the way "anxiety" and "panic" and "worry" became my second nature with years & years of being socialized in and around other people's addictions.