View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

Hi underoath,

My experience with alcohol began very innocently. My boyfriend had alcoholic parents who fed him wine from a young age. I later married him, and I only drank sometimes, because I'd get a headache if I drank too much or too often. Later, I drank just a little more often, then daily, then more.

Just because you don't have an alcohol problem now doesn't mean one won't develop over time. Over the years, I found I have an addictive personality. I drank for years before I admitted I was drinking too much, then about 20 years ago I stopped. It was hard to do by the time I did it. The old addictive personality came back to bite me a couple of years ago when I got addicted to oxycodone after surgery. Another hard quit.

It just isn't worth the pain of having to stop something after you're addicted. It's so much better never to let it become a problem to start with.

I'm no prude, and I don't mind drinkers being around me. I just don't mess with it anymore. Now I'm trying to look at oxycodone the same way. In my profession, I can't help but be around it, so it is necessary to do that, or I'd just avoid it entirely.

Good luck.

FT