View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
doublewhammy

Hi guys, I haven't updated this in a while. Maybe that's in part due to the fact that anything I have to report, you've collectively been through before.

My mother was discharged from the hospital shortly after my last post. I don't remember exactly, but she wound up there for somewhere between 3 1/2 - 4 weeks. She refused treatment for her alcoholism. She was home for a week before she noticeably had been drinking again and by less than 2 weeks out of the hospital she inevitably wound up back in another hospital. Only this time she was taken by ambulance to the local hospital for mandatory evaluation after the paramedics and police found her passed out in the grass next to the driveway and she was unable to correctly answer basic questions including her address of nearly 20 years. She spent a day in the ER sobering up and then by the time she was taken to the psychiatric hospital a few towns over she was on her best behavior, told everyone it was an isolated incident and this had never happened before. They let her out...

Of course, nothing has changed the last week or two since she's been out again she has been found face down in the foyer of the house, fallen off the bed and busted her face, left behind some unsanitary conditions in the bathroom, etc. all in the last week...she's just a full on disaster. She just drinks herself into oblivion and wakes up to do it again the next day.

I don't feel it will be long for her. Though, I thought she would have been gone by now, so who knows. Not sure who she is killing faster, herself or her family.

It is what it is, I guess. I have removed myself from any responsibility and contact with much of her family. I refuse to make another call to doctors, hospitals, family, support groups, rehabs, etc. on her behalf. It's too toxic to try to make a difference in the life of someone that doesn't care about themself -- let alone the people she is destroying in the process.

I suppose this post is my closing, my goodbye. Mom, you are nothing but the shell of the person I once knew and it's time to say farewell. Goodbye to you.