Thread: Almost a year
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
wanttobehealthy

Unfortunately divorce is very expensive. I've put my own on hold though not the separation, for that very reason. It's no secret that one of the reasons (I was told this by the domestic violence hotline a few months ago) women stay in abusive marriages (which I think most to an alcoholic wind up being) is financial prison. No money to rent your own place, no money for a lawyer, etc.. and you wind up staying...

So, I think it's great that you've separated and stayed separated and my own two cents is that I don't think you need to wait for the divorce to be signed and sealed before you date (if that's what you're wanting to do).

Maybe you can find a free consult with a lawyer like suggested above or see if your state has a legal resource center and find out about free legal services. Unfortunately what I've found in my state is that unless you're on welfare you're not eligible for legal assistance. So, I guess for me, I need to become utterly destitute before I can get help.

I hope you are able to find a way to move fwd with the divorce in an affordable way...