View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
MesoFreak

I want to thank every single one of you for posting a comment on my indecision to a very touchy important matter. It is very inspirational to know there are people as strong as all of you to say NO to the social norms of drinking. You guys are amazing, and I one day strive to be like you, or at least like Saphiras’ husband. Let me tell you more about myself, and my encounters with alcoholism. From the mid-May to mid-August I drank five days out of the week roughly about a glass or two of wine, or a beer or two. Once I start I can stop drinking, except when I start drinking with the thought of getting belligerent. Once school began it went from five times a week to once a week or once every two weeks. I haven’t craved it; the only thing on my mind is to focus on my studies… Except my friends’ birthday party this past Sunday.

Alcoholism runs in my dads’ side of the family. My dad is an alcoholic and he, sad to say, is useless to his wife as he was a father. He has no ambition, he has no worries, and I dislike him for pushing all the worries to my mother. As my dad as an example of how not to be a man I have always been careful not to like alcohol too much. I used to periodically stop for a couple months to ensure I have control: I have not stopped for a few months, for awhile... I want to say I will stop until the end of the semester, but with my brother here that I haven't seen for a five years (he likes to have beer), grabbing a beer with af few study buddies after a good week of studying, and the holidays approaching saying I won’t drink is very unrealistic at this moment. Had it been January I think I would be able to last the semester, about four months without alcohol.

The reasons I want to stop is because my mom doesn't want me to be like my father (neither do I). When I have kids I don't want to put them through things I went through with my father. I feel like I lost a few brain cells getting that drunk and feel stupider (literally lol), but I don't know if it is because I did lose a few brain cells or because I was stupid enough to get that drunk, again, that I feel stupid. I want to stop to prove I can!

I have some great friends that don't drink, and I have some great friends that do. My girlfriend does not drink at all, and sometimes wishes she would but I am glad she doesn’t. If this is all for nothing I would to thank all of you for listening. I wish I could provide support to you, but still drinking I don’t know how supportive it would sound coming from me. I want to improve my life so I am going to cut it back a lot. Also, I want to say this here, I don’t ever want to get belligerent again if I do that means I have a problem and need to stop. So if one day I show up saying such a thing remind me I need to stop.