Thread: NEW and venting
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
NotSoSmart

A lot of wise people on here are quick to remind that we need to look at what is, instead of what could be. He could be a great man, but is he right now? Most addicts are smart, creative and likeable types - whether that is part of who they are naturally or develops b/c it facilitates getting drugs I don't know. Have you ever known him 100% sober for any appreciable length of time?

My AGF stopped a few times but didn't work any type of program. She was miserable to be around and a total dry drunk. She quit for the wrong reasons (for me, to prove a point, get me off her back) but she didn't quit for her.

My first 2 alanon meetings were not a good fit. I was mad about going anyway ("why do I have to be here when I don't have a problem") and it was a bunch of older ladies talking about the AC repairman being late. There was no structure and I couldn't relate to anyone.They benefited greatly, but it wasn't what I needed. I took the suggestion of trying 6 meetings before giving up. I eventually found a good one and get a lot out of it whether I speak or not.

I'm fortunate that I live in a larger city where there are several Nar Anon meetings. I do prefer them but they are much smaller and less stable than the Al Anon. Its basically the same steps and message, so you'd do well with either one.

You're tired of supporting dead weight. there's nothing terrible about that (been there). Its OK for you to take care of you.

Everyone has their bottom, its just not up to you to locate his.