View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Lindauk View Post
Hi there Im new to the group but really looking forward to getting help and advice from you and support. The issue I have is I don't believe in God or Jesus. I did once gosh I even used to be a Sunday school teacher, I lost that faith many years ago. I find alot of people mention their faith in the road to recovery and I think that's wonderful for them to have that. I worry that I wont be able to pull on a higher strength in the dark days and Iv let myself down this way before. I don't really have a higher power. I have faith in the universe and all the wonderful things that are in this world. Id love to speak to any others who feel like this but have found other ways to work with this. Thank you all in advance. I know my mum has found a great agnostic group in Canada. But over here in Scotland I come from quite a rural area and I called them up to ask if they knew about any agnostic groups. Oh my you would have thought I was some sort of Devil worshipper the lady was not amused. I know this is a one of persons opinion because Iv met others at my wee local group who are all Christians but they dont mind that Im not and I don't mind they are but I sometimes just feel a bit alone if that makes sense.
Hello there. The Higher Power concept is only necessary for the 12-Step programs, or ones like Alcoholics Victorious that rely on scripture. There are other approaches available, though, such as SMART Recovery, or AVRT from Rational Recovery.

If you are simply looking for support, though, stick around, I'm sure others will chime in soon. I do know that LifeRing Secular Recovery has an online forum which is pretty inclusive towards individual beliefs, and that SMART has online meetings, although I no longer participate in either myself. You may want to look into them to supplement this forum, however.