Thread: Crabby
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LoftyIdeals
SoberOutlook

We all get short-tempered on occasion, and occasions seem to be colliding right now, as Dee pointed out.

I remember Christmas 1983. I was first sober, and went home for Christmas. I had taken up photography as a new hobby, and liked 1000 speed film for black and whites. Problem was, it couldn't go through the x ray machine at the airport, or it would develop in the camera or canister. I got really irritable at the security officer who insisted it must go through, much to my parents embarrassment, and much to my disturbed chagrin. Think that would fly in an airport today without being detained? Not in America.

Anyway, after that, I realized how much unresolved angst I had in my life. I eventually concluded that I was trying to control everything in my life, including my drinking, my behavior and others needs of me.

Now, 28 yrs later, and newly sober again, I have come to believe that the peace and serenity I desire doesn't come from control, but from surrender. That's made all the difference to me thus far.