View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
kanamit

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
In my experience, once the alcohol had altered my brain, and "The Beast" was born, even a change in attitude towards alcohol, as per Allen Carr, was not sufficient. The little monster just wouldn't go away, or if it did, it came back after a while. There is some introductory material in Part I, but you should at least try to read Part II of the RR book straight through.
I was thinking that just today.

If you go on the Amazon reviews for Allen Carr there are definitely some people who read the book and walked away from alcohol, never to look back (I can't say that with certainty, only that some on there have reviewed the book and posted updated months/years later to say they still have no desire to drink).

I've heard people say EasyWay is for moderate-to-heavy drinkers only and others say the worse your addiction the more you can benefit. For me, when I look at the volumes consumed by others here in comparison with my own my Beast would quickly jump in and say, there's no way you have a problem (society would probably class me as moderate-to-heavy). Now knowing AVRT I can see that although EasyWay worked my Beast cunningly left the thought in my mind: it's fine that you've quit for now but remember you have that stag do coming up. Do you really want to be the only one not drinking? And that's where it got me. Now with AVRT a thought like that cannot possibly be mine and I recognise that now. I'm sure it will come up with something more cunning and subtle at some point in the future but I'll be ready for it.

I guess it works 100% for some and not others. For me EasyWay is the piece of the puzzle that tells me to pity drinkers and not envy them. (I love the chapter called Those Lucky Normal Drinkers—all those things people say to give the impression of control but actually prove the opposite.)