View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 05:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sugah
Om, Aum, Ohm...

lpnangel, I don't know that I've responded to any of your threads, but if I did, I would tell you what worked for me (AA). I might also tell you of things I tried that didn't work for me (therapy, medication, self-help books, religion, changes in geography, jobs, and relationships). When I was in my first couple of years of sobriety, I was so amazed that AA was keeping me sober while all the other things I tried didn't, I concluded that AA was the best path to sobriety -- instead of concluding that AA was the best path to sobriety for me. Since then, I've met a few folks who've gotten sober and found some serenity by other means, so I've had an opportunity to grow and expand my open-mindedness. When you hear from someone who believes his or her path is the only one, you may be dealing with someone who hasn't had that growth experience yet. I'd suggest practicing tolerance -- or, as has been suggested, putting them on ignore.

But I do hope that you won't block every reference to things you're not (yet?) willing to try. It's information you can file away, and if what you're doing isn't enough, you'll at least have something else to try.

Peace & Love,
Sugah