View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hayfmr

We have been together 25 years. She had a drinking problem before we me but kept it hidded from me untill after we had been married quite a while. The alcoholism slowy got worse untill she totaled the car and got a DWI. Went with defered prosecution and stayed sober for 7 years. She also went thru two inpatient programs before the dwi. When she started drinking again she spiraled out of controll very fast. Another long term inpatient program that worked for a couple of months. She is now at the point where her last 3 binges have resulted in a trip to the ER and detox. Last time was a week at the mental health unit where she came home with the bipolar diagnosis. I was already at the point where I was finished and had hired the lawyer. After the last binge she begged me to stop the divorce. I enden up putting it on hold with some conditions for her. None of them were followed. So needless to say during the last binge I restarted the divorce filing. She claims that she drank to self medicate for the anxiety. Now she says the bipolar meds have cured her and she has no desire to drink. She has been on the meds less than 3 weeks. Not much of a track record in my opinion. I still want out of the marriage. She says I am being unfair and need counseling because she is now cured. Maybe she is but the damage from 20 years of binge drinking has been so severe that I don't trust her or care anymore.