Thread: Step 1
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gmoney
Evolving Addict

We're addicted to what we like...

Originally Posted by mrjive55 View Post
Gmoney, what are some of the other things our addiction can make us powerless over? I know the literature talks about gambling, sex. Personally I had a problem with eating too much when I first got clean. I imagine, their is a lot more to it than that though.
Our program tells us that anytime we find ourselves becoming obsessive, acting compulsively or doing something to avoid feeling what we feel, we need to review our 1st Step. I've been around for a while now, and I've heard members share about all types of ways that addiction has manifested in their lives.

Shopping, working, exercising, video games, the internet...you name it. The problem is...that these things are just ways in which we escape...and the core of it all is our self-centeredness (wanting what we want, NOW!!!).

There was a time when I had it bad for buying sneakers. I'd tell myself I'd only get one pair....get home and realize I've bought three. My closet would have racks of sneakers (aprox. 60 pairs) and I'd justify buying them because I could afford it. My sponsor would ask me if I really needed that many and my answers were always plausible. His response, "One is too many and a thousand is never enough."

I've gotten better. Today I have 20 pairs. :rotfxko