View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 02:32 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Pumpkin Soup

Good morning.

As Instant mentioned the "Big Book" I would like to reiterate that even if you are not an AA person it is an excellent piece of literature for anyone who wants to stop drinking. Its hard to believe it was written back in the 1930's - it has stood the test of time amazingly well. Im not going to harp on about AA, it is working for me this time around although it didnt when I first started going 4 years ago and a few more times since. There are other ways to recovery and I have dipped into most of them but for me, this time around, AA seems to be working.

The other book, which has been discussed in length before but I would like to mention again for Wiggle and Paddy especially is "under the influence". Despite my going along the AA path this time I do have a scientific mind and this book really helped me to accept my problem and as it explain the physiological aspects of alcoholism it really got it ingrained into my brain that there is simply no point in me ever drinking again as every cell in my body has changed and if I put alcohol back into the equation there is no doubt it is going to harm me and take me right back to where I was 11 and a bit weeks ago and the cravings would be back with me every day. I have very very low will power and to get those cravings back on a regular basis I dont know I would get back to where I am now.

So those two books helped me enourmously get to this stage. Another book that can be very helpful and is alot less "heavy" to read is "living sober" which is an AA book but its just full of tips and advice from how to get through a day, an hour, a minute when you are craving a drink to the more long term things you may come up against.

We have our fun in here and I dont want to bring anyone down but some of the stuff I have been reminded of just yesterday makes me remember it is a life and death situation we are dealing with here. If you are an alocholic, to drink is to die. Eventually it will kill you. I so wish I had realised about my illness when I was in my 20s. I definately knew there was something going on with me and the booze but I could not even contemplate living without it. Those of you in your 20s really do have my admiration for your foresight and I urge you to make the most of the lovely long years you probably have ahead of you.