View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 10:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Peter G

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I still don't go to things where drinking is the focus....I'm not tempted or scared - I just find such occasions really tiresome, boring and empty.

I do have friends who I can be with and where drinkings not the focus, even if drinking's occurring...we have a great time

have you got any friends like that Chris - or is this more an internal thing for you?

D
This ^^^^^. Most definitely avoid anything that has drinking at it's center, and not because I'm nervous or worried at all. Once again Dee nails it. Basically I avoid these events because - sans booze - it's some of the most mind numbing, boring activity I can imagine.

Playing live music I get to see the antics and behaviors of folks when they get off their face. Mind you I haven't played live much since becoming sober, but I have gone out to see mates who are still making their living in bars, and I have observed plenty.

Really, truly, when you're not drunk that whole nightlife/partying joint is not a spectacle at all, nothing to write home about. In fact the entire scene is rather pathetic, if not sad. Call me a buzz-kill but I swear the appeal for that lifestyle is completely lost on me now. Why in God's name would one spend an hour getting dressed, making sure that last hair is in place, spend 300.00 on a cool outfit - only to go out, stand in one spot, drink, hoping someone pays attention to you - in the end hoping you're not too drunk to reciprocate what attention you may have garnered. Just insane if you ask me. Having said that, put 15 or so shots of Jack Daniels in me and I would swear that I'm at Disneyland when I party.

Add alcohol and a frikin concentration camp can seem appealing.

Chris, you're gonna find out that - sans alcohol - some of the most entertaining things, things you used to love have become laborious and ... just generally ... NOT cool at all. At least that is my experience. That is a good thing and don't forget that. Nothing wrong with evolution, and what you are noticing is you have evolved from these experiences. You don't need them anymore. Full stop. So being blunt, stay away from them, or at the least, minimize your exposure - if only to save you from complete and utter boredom.

What I would do in your shoes is leave the drinking time to your friends and join up with them later, when they're not drinking. Otherwise you're in for some pretty lame evenings .