View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 06:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
basias

Originally Posted by lpnangel View Post
My brother was just diagnosed with stage 3, 4 throat cancer. My sister took a bus down to be with him when he goes to oncologist. My sister hasn't drank in a year but I know when she gets with my brother, she will get plastered.
He lives in a hotel. He works 60 hours. They have no food there and no vehicle. I am sure he finds enough money to buy beer. I have a little left in my account but I do not get paid in 2 weeks. I hate the fact that they have no food. I was thinking of going to the dollar store and buying some canned goods to help them out but my logic says he can figure a way himself. I am torn. This is always the case with my dysfunctional family. I have always helped. My family has always been a HUGE source of my anxiety. They are selfish and toxic. I want to be there for my brother but the drama of my family dynamics is going to be a huge trigger for me. My sponsor is out of town so I cannot talk to her. I am just a bit stressed and needed to vent. Thanks much
So sorry to hear about your brother. I know how you feel about wanting to help.....but you need to do what's best for your sobriety.

When my father was diagnosed with Colon Cancer and my Mom needed my help to care for him....it was the perfect justification to quit my job and allow my addictions to go wild. That was over ten years ago, and I have not recovered yet. I used everything as an excuse to use and drink.....happiness....tragedy.....highs.....lows, you name it I used it.

Good luck and once again...so sorry for your news.