View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 10:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
StPeteGrad

I noticed REAL recovery today

When I was drinking my days consisted of work and drinking. I grabbed beer on the way home, drinks at the bar, more beer to drink at home.

I was lethargic and apathetic.

Fast forward six months. I left work at the normal time after a 10 hour day, fought traffic for another hour and got home.

OK... here's the miracle. I had an amazing desire to do something so I grabbed my 8 year old son and took him fishing. Not just normal fishing -we had all the salmon gear and tackle and hiked about 1500 yards on a narrow trail through thick brush to the river in my own secret spot to chase that 40lb Chinook or just a couple of Pinks.

We fished for about 2 hours until the sun started to set on the western ridge and packed it all back out. We didn't catch anything tonight but we had a wonderful time. We talked, told stories, and just enjoyed each other's company.

I never could have done this in my drinking days. My mind and body are healing and my relationship with my children is growing as well. I even still had energy when I got home from fishing. I'm tired and worn out now and it's bedtime.

For those that are brand new here - it really does get better! Quickly you'll notice the good days outnumber the bad.

And it's okay to reward yourself with chocolate cake once in a while!