Old 08-15-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
My purpose in sharing the anecdote was two-fold...

a) I just thought it was funny, but I am slightly twisted anyway so whatev...

b) I try very hard to pay attention to the following principles from "the fourteen precepts of the order of interbeing" (Thich Nhat Hanh)
#1. do not be idolatrous about or bound to any doctrine, thoery, or ideaology. all systems of thought are guiding means; they are not absolute truth.
#2. do not think that the knowledge you presently possess is changeless, absolute truth. avoid being narrow-minded and bound to present views. learn and practice non-attachment from views in order to be open to receive others' viewpoints. truth is found in life and not merely in conceptual knowledge. be ready to learn throughout your entire life and to observe reality in yourself and in the world at all times.

I have "observed reality in myself" plenty of times and I will not drink again....that's my reality. To say that I could drink doesn't scare me because certainly I could go right now and do it...full well knowing the consequences (the reality I have observed in myself) um...no, thanks-I'm good with all that. It's just moot at this point for me.

So in the above paragraph there is plenty of stuff for both wilson and trimpey to argue against. but, in the meantime I (and millions of others) are happily sober...so...hmmmmm

I agree with many of trimpey's ideas...I embrace much of AVRT...i just find him (and others) dogmatic...no biggie...just sayin'