Old 08-13-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by chicory View Post
Is this basically mind over matter?
Yes and no. AVRT is a set of instructions on how to objectify the desire for the pleasure produced by various substances. In psychology, this would be called a dissociative technique. Subjectively, if you are able to objectify the desire to drink/use, and then dissociate from it, not drinking/using does not feel like "white knuckling" or struggling against the inevitable.

Jack Trimpey, the founder of Rational Recovery, discovered this technique while working with clients, but he makes no claims of having invented it. In effect, Trimpey asked a few hundred people who quit on their own, without any help, precisely how they did it, and then wrote down the instructions. He then refined them over the years by observing how people responded to those instructions. The result was AVRT.

Some people, even today, inadvertently discover the technique on their own. AVRT is, in effect, the way that people have naturally recovered from addiction throughout human history, since before addiction treatment or recovery groups ever existed. The benefit of learning about it from Rational Recovery is that you don't have to waste time learning it through trial and error, as Trimpey has effectively synthesized the technique from hundreds of people who did just that and describes it in detail. It allows you to quit your addictions, in private, without group meetings or therapy sessions.

As for my experience, AVRT is extremely powerful, and I was able to quit my addiction to alcohol after having spent thousands of dollars on addictions counseling, and much time in recovery groups. Some people seem to "get it" faster than I did, though, and I have seen people who were relapsing over and over again just "snap out of it" after learning the technique.

Rational Recovery has a "Crash Course on AVRT" for free on their web site, but it is nowhere near as comprehensive as the book listed in the first post of this thread. If you are interested, I have several links I can send you - just contact me via Private Message.