View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
serious

2 months anniversary!

... not a drop of alcohol (if you don't count mouthwash, no i wasn't drinking it) in exactly 2 months today.

i really like the fact that i got out of the mode of counting the days, it just kind of happened. (i remember counting those minutes, which seemed like days during my alcohol-produced hospital detox).

first days/weeks weren't easy (by any means) and i can't say that everything is perfect now, but things are so much better...
- lost about 20 lbs so far (that is due to a lot of exercise, much healthier eating, and cutting out at least 1,000 alcohol-related calories/day)
- ambitions, hopes, dreams, desires are here again. and they do not seem pointless and distant.
- life without alcohol is fun and is not that hard. i've been to parties, traveled, was surrounded a couple of times with friends who were drinking (and although each time was a little test, it was nothing compared to the original decision of quitting).
- improved relationship with my family. although we live so far apart i know it makes a difference when i sound happy and sober on the phone... and now i mostly have positive things to say
- depression is gone, anxiety is improving
- life is worth living!

just a few reasons to keep this going.
thanks to SR and all the inspiring stories here.
i truly feel for every single person who is suffering now, because i've been in every dark corner of the path guided by alcohol... but to finish things up on a brighter cliche "it really can be done! and things to get so much better!" (i am looking forward to see how the future pans out).