View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR.

Congrats on the upcoming new baby. I no longer have any small children in my life except my 2 year old grandson who is autistic. I do know what a struggle it is though to raise children. My oldest two are a year and a half apart. I wound up being a single parent for most of their lives. Unfortunately I was an alcoholic as well. I did not find sobriety until they were 15 and 16. But they have not seen me drink in the past 10 years. They tell me often how happy they are that they have a sober mother after all the years of living with me drunk. I think one of the biggest gifts we can give to our children is being sober enough to enjoy them. To remember those moments that we can easily pass right on by when drinking. I do not remember my children taking their first steps. I can not remember most of their birthdays when I was drinking. There are so many moments we can not get back that in retrospect would have meant so much but they are lost in time somewhere.

As far as vacations are concerned. I know I did not know how to do anything without drinking. Everything I did was centered in some way around alcohol. It took a lot of time and relearning how to do things sober. Even things that sound so simple as working in the garden on a hot day. That was always an excuse to have a cooler full of cold beer nearby. Today, I truly enjoy my garden as I can fully appreciate the beauty of it. I had to also learn how to vacation without drinking and I can not say it was an easy task but worth it in the long run. Today I remember my vacations and actually am doing those things I used to sit around drinking and dreaming about. The only advice that I can give you is just focus on staying sober today. Each day start out with focusing on just not drinking that day, don't look to not drinking tomorrow or worry about what you have done in the past. Concentrate on those things you can change which is the here and now. You can't change the past but learn from it which gives you a starting point of what you do not want to do. With that start you have a goal which is simple, don't drink today.

Do hang in there. SR is a wonderful place to find support, and encouragement. I do hope you stick around and find the sobriety you seek.