View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LisaLisaLisa

Question Confused about withdrawal

My husband and I are getting ready to address our drinking problems as soon as we can figure out a way to get health insurance and get into treatment. I'd like to start at least trying to have more "sober nights" between now and then, but am wondering about the risks of sober nights and potentially dangerous withdrawal. My assumption has always been that if you're not having fairly significant withdrawal symptoms such as shakes, during the day when not drinking (we only drink in the evenings), you're not at risk for the more serious, life threatening withdrawal symptoms (dts, heart problems, seizure).

However, we have recently been told (by a treatment intake person, so not sure whether to trust or not trust! cuz he could be trying to convince us we NEED his medically monitored program rather than outpatient) that quitting on our own at home without meds or monitoring puts us at risk for danger such as seizure. Really? Even if we get through the day, and occasionally more than 2 days without drinking, without significant symptoms. I do have some anxiety some days (but I am prone to that anyway) and if we drink a more than typical amount we might feel like crap, but not generally suffering too much, so is it really possible that we could have heart problems or a seizure three days into sobriety after feeling pretty good?

Thanks for your time and information.