View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
doublewhammy

Originally Posted by AbbySinthe View Post
I am so sorry. I went through this with my mother who was 57 when she passed away 2 years ago from cirrhosis after a lifetime of abusing alcohol & pills. She too was suffering from encephalopathy related dementia, wouldn't eat, couldn't take care of herself, etc. I completely understand what you are going through. And I know that when I was going through it (and still continue to go through the pain & loss today) not much can be said to alleviate the unbearable pain that you're going through. I can tell you that you're not alone, I understand, and I'm sorry for you.

I hate mentioning this but is hospice an option? Is she at that point yet? That's where my mother spent her last days and she finally seemed at peace. I think her entire life that's all she wanted and she never found it until the end.
Hi Abby,

Thanks very much for your reply. I am sorry for the loss of your mother, especially the way in which she passed. It is helpful to know that others really do understand, even though it is a terrible situation.

Well, she is currently still in the hospital, none of the rehabs would take her and the hospital therapist started working with her. Looks like maybe this week she will be released and sent back to my parents home for outpatient therapy although they do not want her there and my Dad is not going to get her and the case manager says my mother did tell her there is no one that will help her at home and no friends, neighbors, etc. that can help or drive her anywhere. She has been walking with assistance from the hospital physical therapist throughout the past weekend. She has been making demands for her cell phone and car already through my one sister of us 5 siblings that has anything to do with her at this point.

The doctor told me point blank the other day he thinks she is going to get strong enough to leave and go drink again. I told him I completely agree with him. She is talking better now, too. I truly do think she is seeing that vodka bottle as her dangling carrot and at this point she is going to fight as hard as she can to get out of there to go drink. Since, she is seemingly more alert, to strangers anyway (she's been showing the brain effects of her drinking for years and they think she is lucid, but she's definitely not in her right mind) they are going to release her when she is strong enough to go, I do believe.

Though by then she will have spent 1 entire month in the hospital and leaving with brain and liver damage. You would think this would be a rock bottom for most, but she has already turned away the offers inpatient rehab for her alcoholism. She told the case manager she was not interested and she wanted to go home and she would do it herself with AA. Yeah, okay...she got wasted in a parking lot after her first and only AA meeting.

She is going to leave this place and kill herself next - or someone else. My brothers want nothing to do with her, my other sister hasn't even called about her and my dad is seriously going to lose the house. My mother shows zero remorse for what she has done to our family and continues to make demands and threats to my dad. It's a disgusting situation. I'm exhausted from it all. Just don't think I can even handle much more of this. It is so draining and I know where it's headed. I am ready to just be done.