View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
UpSiDeDoWn

Ultimatums - Do They Work?

It looks like I posted here a few times last summer. Well, here I am back again. Totally frustrated and feeling like I have had it!

I have been researching treatment centers in my area all afternoon. Am prepared (I think?) to go home and give my husband an ultimatum. He either begins to get treatment, or we are done.

He has not been working for three months, but somehow has found the money to continue drinking. I have had to put all of my "general" budget on my credit cards to make sure that there was money to pay the mortgage. (Bizarre!) Now I have large credit card payments at 18/19 %.

My husband is self-employed and is telling me the work is not out there. I think that may partially be true .. but a larger truth is that he has dug his own hole and people are not calling him back. He is not responsible, does not finish the job when he is supposed to. He makes mistakes on the job because he can't process the information normally. He says it's because he's getting older. No . .. it is because of his big time drinking!

Anyway, I know .. I ended up ranting here. Sorry! Anyway, just wondered how many here have tried the "ultimatum" route and how successful it may have been? I know it all depends on how your spouse feels about you .. but pretty much all alcoholics have a better relationship with their alcohol than their spouse, don't they?

Upsidedown